Before we delve into our rare, vintage, and collectable whiskies, we first want to take a look into the world of whisky investments and what factors you should consider.
Factors to consider when investing in whisky
Are you investing in whisky?
Over the years, whisky has become a popular alternative investment. However, there are some factors you should consider when selecting a whisky to invest in.
- Age: As a rule of thumb, older whiskies are more valuable due to their more developed flavour profile. Whilst this does not guarantee your whisky will increase in value due to its age, it is a great starting point for any budding investor.
- Rarity: This rule applies to all collectables. The more rare the item, the more likely it is to appreciate in value. Look for limited editions or one-off bottlings. Bottles from closed distilleries will also heighten the value and rarity.
- Condition: Bottles that are kept in their original packaging, or well-preserved are more likely to be valuable.
- Research: Look at previous sales of particular bottles, look into the brand itself. There are many factors to consider that could help you on your way to making the right choices in your whisky investing journey.
Collectable and rare whiskies to add to your collection
Whether you’re a whisky investor or whisky enthusiast, here are 5 of our incredibly rare vintage whiskies that are perfect for any collector.
1. Dallas Dhu 34 Year Old 1970 Old & Rare Platinum Selection Whisky – 50.1% 70cl
With only 136 bottles released, you won’t find this whisky in many places.
This release from Douglas Laing is from the Dallas Dhu distillery, originally distilled in 1970 in the Speyside region.
This single cask lay maturing for 34 years prior to bottling in 2004, for their Platinum Selection Old and Rare label.
2. Strathisla 1953 – Bottled 2012 – Gordon & MacPhail – 43% 70cl – RARE & VINTAGE
This 59-year-old whisky has been matured in a sherry butt and is a rare and exclusive single malt scotch whisky.
A 1953 vintage single malt whisky from Gordon & MacPhail, part of the Distillery Label range.
3. Springbank Book Decanters Vol. I – IV – 4x75cl 43%
This is a vintage set of collectable book-style decanters from Springbank (Volumes 1 to 4).
This volume includes:
Vol 1 – 8 Years Old (seal torn on one side)
Vol II – 10 Years Old
Vol III – 12 Years Old
Vol IV – 15 Years Old
4. Glenfarclas 1976 Family Cask 2014 Refill Butt #3105 – 41.8% 70cl
Glenfarclas is considered by many to be one of the finest distilleries in Speyside. Its direct-fired stills produce a heavy single malt that is almost exclusively matured in Jerez sherry casks.
This 1976 bottled was bottled on the 26th March 2014 from sherry butt #3105 yielding 354 bottles.
5. Macallan 1950 Handwritten Label G&M Bottled 1980s – 43% 75cl
Finally on our list, we have a bottle of The Macallan 1950 The Malt, bottled in the 1980s by Macallan Glenlivet Ltd. and distributed by Gordon & MacPhail.
This bottling has a handwritten label and is presented in a wooden box.
This is bottle number 32.
Rare and collectable
Our rare and collectable whiskies don’t stop here. We have our very own section specifically devoted to these vintage and incredible whiskies.
If you’re in the market for a whisky that stands out, then view our selection of rare and collectable whiskies.
Do you have any rare and collectable whiskies?
Contact us on social media and let us know!
Follow us on Instagram: whiskymerchant1
Or sign up to our newsletter, so you never miss out on our limited time offers.